Puzzling

Imagine I come over and bring ten puzzles with 5000 pieces each, and dump them all on the same table. There are ten pictures to build, and fifty thousand pieces on the table. You still know what all ten pictures are, but that doesn't really relate to your very full table of puzzle pieces. You have a hard time relating to the information on a single puzzle piece, and nothing really makes any sense. But you still know all ten pictures.


In time, you manage to get the border of one of the puzzles complete. (Or at least you think that you do, but all ten puzzles are cut from the same template; only the picture is really different).


If I were to come along, seemingly randomly pick an unplaced puzzle piece, state that "this piece goes right here, believe me!" and place the piece with some apparently random position and orientation, within the border of the puzzle, what would happen?


Time and memory would tell us that this piece is now "in" the puzzle, and that its picture, orientation, and position may be correct. But one or all (orientation, etc) may also not be correct.



The only external way that you have to judge this situation is by how much you believe me; how much you trust me based on things like experiences with me and my judgment, and your temperament. How much you "like" me. Unfortunately, if you see me in a positive way I can still be wrong, and if you see me in a negative way I can still be right. But if you don't judge this puzzle piece, it will scream at you until you do.



This is where religion comes in.



No comments: